SIGN UP FOR OUR INSIGHTS BLASTS
We finally had a chance to recoup after Cannes LIONS and we can’t stop thinking about fandom. Aside from AI, fandom was the hot topic in the Palais, along the Croisette, and at SPORT BEACH. Today in 3 Quick Things: Let’s talk about fandom: How to build it and why it matters. (Miss anything at Cannes? Catch up on LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram.)
- WAIT, THE DISHWASHING LIQUID COMPANY? At SPORT BEACH, NRG’s Fotoulla Damaskos revealed a major surprise. In a survey of 12,500 people about 250 brands, Dawn had the 5th highest brand fandom score, topping major entertainment, tech, and sports brands. What’s going on? People say Dawn connects with their values. (think of clean baby ducks); innovates by releasing products they use and love; and creates community. Seriously, spend a few minutes on #CleanTok. THE LESSON: Yes, Nike, Marvel, and other buzzy brands made NRG’s Fandom 50. But any type of brand can attract fans with the right strategy.
- IT TAKES TWO Delta’s Tim Mapes put it nicely at the Palais: “Are we loyal to you when you need us?” Translation: When loyalty program members are stuck overnight at O’Hare, they expect Delta to show loyalty to them – through the empathy and actions of its employees. That’s how you build a sense of community. WHY IT MATTERS: Building a community is a huge part of attracting fans, who are 3x more likely to stick with a brand during a crisis.
- ALWAYS LEAVE THEM WANTING MORE A boring website isn’t enough. Expedia’s Jon Gieselman, speaking at the Palais, talked about attracting fans by creating a “subscription-like business.” Expedia isn’t literally selling subscriptions. The idea is to use technology (like Expedia’s ChatGPT tool) in inventive products and features that will keep customers coming back — “managing the business for lifetime value rather than a one-time transaction.”
INNOVATE OR ELSE: The key to building fandom is to keep innovating and evolving in ways that surprise and delight consumers.
Beyond the Stage
Stagwell talked to C-suite marketers, sports luminaries, and other innovators at SPORT BEACH and the Palais. You’ll find fresh, insightful videos on our YouTube page from every day of Cannes LIONS.
JPMorgan Chase’s Leanne Fremar talked with Code and Theory’s Brent Buntin about everything from purpose to Chase Sapphire’s new airport lounges.
Nov 13, 2023
Nov 06, 2023
Originally Released On
NEW YORK, Sept. 30, 2022 /PRNewswire/ — Stagwell (NASDAQ: STGW), the challenger network built to transform marketing, announced its second-annual sponsorship of Advertising Week New York, the world’s largest annual gathering of marketing, media, and technology leaders. Stagwell will host two panels on the Advertising Week New York stage, sharing insider insights into the implications for brands of the explosion of political media spending and fresh insights from a new global survey on brand fandom.
- Buzz & Devotion: The Fan Economy That Makes the Niche Mainstream in Today’s Culture – Monday 10/17 @ 1:15p: Fan culture has a powerful impact on a brand’s ascension into relevance, power and popularity. Informed by new, original research, we will bring brand experts from McDonald’s together with NRG to explore the pathways for brands to successfully build and activate a fan community. Insights from NRG’s latest thought leadership research will combine with lessons learned from the birthplace of fandom — sports and entertainment — to unlock powerful insights that help brands connect and grow their most devout and influential customers.
- Talk Politics to Me: Why Every Brand Today Needs a Dose of Political Know-How– Thursday 10/20 @ 1:15p: Political is THE media story of Q4 2022, and it’s never been a more critical time for all advertisers to know the rules of the game. Join Assembly, a global omnichannel media agency – with an only-of-its-kind full-service political strategy and media practice – and experts from Lyft and SambaTV for a discussion on the path forward for brands in a politically charged media environment and the convergence of political, advocacy, and commercial advertising.
Also at Advertising Week New York:
In addition to staged programming, Stagwell is proud to partner with Brand Innovators to deliver access to intimate thought leadership with leading CMOs and agency experts. Sign up to follow along with insights and other content from Advertising Week New York.
Stagwell is the challenger network built to transform marketing. We deliver scaled creative performance for the world’s most ambitious brands, connecting culture-moving creativity with leading-edge technology to harmonize the art and science of marketing. Led by entrepreneurs, our 13,000+ specialists in 34+ countries are unified under a single purpose: to drive effectiveness and improve business results for their clients. Join us at www.stagwellglobal.com.
Nov 13, 2023
Nov 06, 2023